Thursday, November 3, 2011

School of the Hard Knocks

     In today's society education is a very important key that makes one successful in life no matter what. So, I could say that since education is so important ,which i really do believe, all of the Philadelphia public school district kids shouldn't be complaining about how terrible their school is and what it looks like and they should just be happy that they are receiving an education. Well.... that would never be something that I feel is acceptable to say. I have to agree with the young urban community that these schools around in the area look more like prisons than a place of education. Ok so in the media we do hear about violence in urban schools and people talking about there is no helping these kids because they don't appreciate anything even if a school has even been rebuilt.  To me how the urban city "jail school house" looks is going to have a big impact on how the kids act. I feel as though motivation and support is always necessary in any child's life if it causes them to want to go to school, but that motivation can get thrown out the window once you step in front of a place that is supposed to better my future and the first thing I see is barbed wire an gates on all the windows. Maybe all the bad the media portrays about public schools is an outcry from the students that something needs to change. It's not only the students that are frustrated but also the parents and teachers of the community. We shouldn't ignore the people who at the end of the day who has control of some of our futures. I am sick of hearing the whole story line of  "I made it out of nothing into something". Don't get me wrong I am proud of child or adult that has made something out of their education even if they had a horrible school system. What would really make me proud is when it becomes more common for people to say I made it out of something to something even better.

By, Idella Logan

3 comments:

  1. I agree 100% that support and motivation helps kids want to go to school. I think that having the bars on the windows is wrong and in a way it do resemble a prison. To some kids, they make them feel less comfortable in the school. Students should be able to go to school and not feel as though they're in a prison. When I was in high school, not only were there bars on the windows, but there was also metal detectors. Schools are supposed to be a safe place for learning. If that's the case then what's the reason for the metal detectors. Yeah they can make sure that no one is bringing any weapons, but students shouldn't need to bring any weapons in the first place. Change is needed, and quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything that was mentioned. image is everything, and education should be welcommming and attractive. I cam from the Philadelphia School District and i also believe that if the schools are more attractive that the students may have a better perspective when attending school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Idella Logan! My daughter has gone to a public school in North Philadelphia and I didn’t notice until it was brought to my attention by Sharif Street that “her school looked like a prison! That’s when I took a notice to the way the school was set up. It had tall gates around the entire school and all over the windows. It was a bit annoying. I started to wonder was the appearance of this school because of the neighborhood? How did the kids who attended the school feel about the way the school looked? Was this going to affect the kid’s ability to learn? I had a lot of questions but the answers were right in front of me. Most of the children would have no interest in getting to school on time, I watched students on a regular basis play hokey in the schools school yard. So that told me how much they were interested in learning. Bottom line the city should focus on creating a brighter and more interesting looking place that these children can be more enthused about attending to actually have a better chance at learning. Not to mention, the faculty should also work with the school’s principle to help provide a great education to the kind’s who want to learn and the kid’s who have a hard time staying focus long enough to get a great education.

    ReplyDelete