Tuesday, June 28, 2011

FLASHMOBS by: William Wilson


What the hell is that? I said as I was taking a shower one evening not to long ago. It sounded like a war zone on my block and I was helpless in my bathroom. I quickly gathered myself together to go outside and see what the commotion was about. Can anyone guess what I saw stampeding down the middle of the street?  How about 100 to about 150 screaming kids causing terror to anything that was in their path. This ladies and gentleman was a flash mob in the middle of the city in the middle of the night. They were climbing on poles, dancing  on top of cars, kicking peoples cars and fighting each other. Now my question in all of this was where are their parents? Its one in the morning and last time I checked curfew for people under the age of 18 was about 10:00.


I wanted to know just what go's through the minds of kids across the area when they participate in these kinds of activities. I've seen people get beaten with night sticks by cops, arrested and jumped all in the midst of these things. Coming into these kinds of things one has to in some way know the consequences of it all. This to me though is just another sign of the times that we live and grew up in. I and a few friends were once caught in a flash mob. We weren't doing anything but everyone around it is usually guilty by association. All flash mobs aren't bad but the particular ones that I'm targeting are.  We already have enough violence in the world so why do people band together to influence it even more? It's not right and we need to teach younger and older generations that it's not right. I also think that flash mobs are a great example of group think.

No comments:

Post a Comment